Friday, June 03, 2005

God's Priority

The more I study the book of Revelation, the more convinced I am that God’s ultimate priority is relationship. All His commandments and all His actions seem to have one ultimate intent: fruitful relationship between Himself and His Bride. This relationship that God seeks to have with us requires that we reciprocate by loving His people. John wrote in 1 John 3.16: “This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers.” I have struggled though, with understanding just what it should look like in my life to “lay down my life for my brother.” Sure, if I see someone whose life is in danger, I must take whatever risk necessary to save the other person — after all, should I die in the attempt to rescue another I still have eternity with Jesus. The tougher question is how do I lay my life down for my brother in the normal circumstances of life? If my brother needs a car, should I give him mine? Then I’ll need a car and someone else will be burdened with giving me theirs. So should I just ignore the fact that my brother needs a car? Questions like these have prompted me to develop the following chart:



What it boils down to is prioritizing the real needs of others over my own luxuries and conveniences. I think it’s in the day-to-day dying to my self-absorption and self-indulgence where the real laying down of my life for a brother occurs. I hope this helps you. I hope it helps us become the Bride and ministers that God intends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, fellow brother in Christ, Praise the Lord that you had such an unveiling that you could share with us.

Much Grace and may the Lord be with your spirit!